Safe Space Declaration
Providence Swings is a place that is dedicated to the joys of dancing and community, and is welcoming to everyone, regardless of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability, age, or anything else. Our classes, dances, and events all strive to promote a safe environment for everyone to be who they are without fear of being harassed.
• Harassment and insensitivity is not tolerated and should be brought to the attention of the staff immediately.
• Treat others how you would like to be treated: With kindness, respect, and courtesy. Racist, homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic, and ableist language is not only hurtful and discriminatory, but leads to an unsafe and unwelcoming environment.
• Be conscious of a person’s personal pronouns- such as they/them, she/her, or he/him. Be respectful of someone’s pronouns if and when they correct you, and if someone asks you to use a different pronoun, please make every effort to do so. DO NOT barrage the person with questions unless they openly invite conversation about it.
• Unwanted advances, romantic, sexual, or otherwise, lead to an unsafe and uncomfortable environment. Keep in mind that just because someone hasn’t actively told you to go away doesn’t mean they are not uncomfortable. Be aware of body language and social cues, and most of all be respectful of a person’s personal space and boundaries. If someone asks you to take a step back or to stop, listen to them.
• If you ask someone to dance and they say no, this should be respected; they have every right to refuse a dance regardless of whether it’s because they are tired, uncomfortable, or just simply do not want to. DO NOT try to coerce someone to dance, even if you are just trying to be nice to someone you are perceiving as shy. There may be other reasons why they are saying no besides shyness, and this should be respected.
• Learning new moves from one another can be fun and helping each other improve in your dancing is always a good way to learn. However, it is important to respect one another and not give unsolicited feedback. If they don’t ask for it, don’t give it to them.
Above everything else, just be kind and thoughtful of those around you. We are all here to have a good time and dance so let’s have fun!
Any and all questions about the above code of conduct can be sent to Providence Swings at email@example.com, or feel free to speak directly with a board member.